These days, stories about cheating are not uncommon, from casual one-night stands to emotional entanglements and second families. And this is not only found on the news and television of athletes and celebrities. You may have heard real life cheating stories directly from someone you know, like a friend or colleague. In fact, you may be involved in your own cheating story at some point.
So because of these I have prepared 10 tips that will show you how to stop cheating in a relationship and help you rekindle your commitment to your partner. Now let’s get started!
But before we start, you should know that what happens with cheating is that you get involved in all the lies until things get very messy and complicated.
So How Do You Stop It?
Let’s go through step by step so you can untangle yourself from this temptation.
1. Remove yourself from the temptation. That’s true. if you really don’t want to put yourself in danger, stay away from the speed of cars. Stay away from situations where you will be tempted to cheat.
Don’t invite yourself into difficult situations that you know would likely end with an unwanted outcome. This is the first rule to remember: prevention is better than cure.
2. Think about things. There are many types of affairs; some are just casual sexual encounters, while others are more profound. It may be easier to put aside casual encounters rather than matters in which you and your lover are emotionally attached.
Decide how long you need to think things through. In the meantime, you can tell your lover that you want to think and that you need space. If you can, also asks your partner for space, so you can be alone. Give yourself plenty of time to think before you really decide.
3. Find out why. Yes, this may sound obvious but people have different reasons for cheating. You may have your own reasons, and you think these are fairly legitimate reasons. However, most of the time, these are just excuses.
Whatever the case, you have to really find out why you are cheating. Did you fall in love with your partner? Is your partner emotionally detached? Are you in an abusive relationship and your lover provides you with a safe haven? Do you just want to have sex or show yourself that you are still attractive?
Whatever your reasons, use them to make your decision, because in the end, you really have to decide and act.
4. Evaluate your adventure. Now Once you have figured out why you are cheating, evaluate your adventure. Really worth it? Is it worth betraying, cheating and hurting your partner? Is it really worth running behind your partner’s back? Or maybe you are falling in love with your lover.
Evaluating your affair can also help you make a decision, as you weigh not only your options but, more importantly, the consequences of your actions, since you will not only be hurting your partner but also your lover.
5. Evaluate your relationship. It is also important to consider your here and now; your relationship with your partner. Many people turn to extramarital affairs or affairs outside of their relationship because they feel that their partners are lacking in something or that their relationship has worsened.
However, what they do not see is that perhaps they have also changed for the worse. Once you’ve figured out why you’re having an affair and what it really means to you, compare it to what’s at stake, your relationship and your partner’s feelings.
6. Count your blessings. People often do not appreciate what they have, so they turn to desire for things they cannot have. For you, this may be a case of “the grass is greener on the other side.” To help you get a better perspective, try to see your partner with renewed eyes and open your heart to all the possibilities of what you already have instead of wishing for more, or worse, attractive problems.
7. Avoid comparisons. Another useful way to avoid cheating is to avoid comparing your partner to other people, especially your lover. People have their strengths and weaknesses, and anything good, beautiful, exciting, different, and desirable about your lover can be the honeymoon glow in the works. You may also find that there are still other greener pastures, and the search for your ideal will never end.
8. Take action. Once you’ve thought about your situation and your relationships, that’s when you need to take action. You have to make the decision to choose one or the other.
9. Stop any communication. In addition to removing yourself from the situation, such as avoiding going to places where you could see your lover, you should also stop any communication. If you have to change your number, remove it, and block it from your phone and social media accounts, do so. Before this, let them know that you don’t want to see them sooner, so they know what’s going on and stop contacting you as well.
10. Consider counseling. If you have exhausted everything and still things did not turn out the way you expected them to, then you should consider marriage or couples counseling. Talk to a professional about your problems.
Cheating doesn’t necessarily make you a “bad” person, although cheating opens up a box of problems and horrible things for you. Cheating shows your need for intimacy, connection, and a renewed sense of yourself. However, you really don’t have to go far to meet those needs.